RE: [SI-LIST] : Bus bar current carrying capability

Mackillop, William J. ([email protected])
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 08:12:20 -0400

HL Kon,
An application sheet that I have from the Copper
Development Assoc. Inc. gives these formulae and ratings:
I =3D SQRT ((Wr + Wc)/R)
Where Wr is heat dissipated by radiation in Watts
Wc is heat dissipated by natural convection in Watts
R is resistance in Ohms at operating temperature and 60
Hz

DC ampacity differs because of the AC skin effect by
Idc =3D Iac SQRT S
Where S is the skin effect ratio at 60 Hz

For your dimensions the listed attributes are:
DC Resistance (at 20 deg C in microhms per foot) 65.8
30 deg C rise Skin effect ratio 1.01
60 Hz ampacity 240

The assumed conditions are 40 deg C ambient.

All that to say the DC current you could expect is
241Amps.

Hope this helps.

If I understand your problem correctly you need to carry
1000 Amps and therefor should be looking at bus bars in the rage listed
below;
3/16 x 4"
=BC x 3 =BD"
3/8 x 2 =BD"