Re: [SI-LIST] : Re: MEASURING POWER GROUND IMPEDANCE

Howard Johnson ([email protected])
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 07:07:38 -0700

Try putting the source cable on one side of the board,
and the scope cable on the other.

Best regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson

At 10:02 PM 6/11/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Dr. Johnson,
>
>Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that measuring (and simulating) the
>power ground impedances on a complex board is not an easy task. In a
>real-life situation it is complicated by the fact that boards are not
>designed with probe points for this purpose, therefore attaching the probes
>may be extremely difficult. I also agree with your derivation which
>illustrates how much noise you would pick up with adjacent loops in a
>typical situation. This clearly shows that we need to go an extra distance
>to achieve our goal. Your derivation also suggests the direction where the
>solution can be found: the only help is to reduce the mutual inductance,
>since reducing the source voltage would reduce dI/dt but would also reduce
>the voltage to be measured by the same ratio. By using smaller loops
>(closer connection points between the shield and signal wire, and very short
>exposed signal and shield connections), the 'noise floor' of the measurement
>can be reduced to about 25 milliohms up to about one GHz, which may be
>enough today for some of the boards. This noise floor can be achieved even
>if the connection points are just 0.1 inches away, which brings up another
>interesting point: on a power-ground distribution system we want to know not
>only how much noise will propagate from one device to the other, but also it
>is important to figure out how much noise a particular device is generating
>at its own location. Having the full impedance matrix (or any other
>electrical matrix for that matter) gives the possibility to sum up the noise
>contributions from several devices at the desired locations. To have the
>self-impedance measured (Z11), we clearly need to connect the source and the
>probe so close that at our measurement frequencies the electrical separation
>is negligible. By using semirigid for both the source cable and probe cable
>and using very short interconnections, we were able to measure self and
>transfer impedances and to correlate to simulated values within less than
>one dB error up to 100MHz and within less than 3dB error up to one GHz. To
>achieve the good correlation it is also necessary to use the proper complex
>impedances in the equivalent schematic of voltage divider.
>
>But finally let me repeat again that I agree with you, it is not an easy
>task.
>
>Best regards
>
>Istvan Novak, SI Engineer
>SUN Microsystems

Dr. Howard Johnson, Signal Consulting, Inc.
tel 425.556.0800 // fax 425.881.6149 // email [email protected]

http://WWW.sigcon.com -- High-Speed Digital Design books, tools, and workshops