Re: [SI-LIST] : bga

Jeff Seeger ([email protected])
Wed, 06 May 1998 19:49:50 -0400

Roland F. Portman wrote:

> Do you know if there has been any research on the use of BGA's in an
> Industrial
> environment (-40C to +85C combined with moderate to severe shock and
> vibration).
> I am afraid the different tCE of the BGA and the PWB (FR4) over that
> temperature
> extreme will cause the balls to crack and fail.

Two methods of miminizing the tCE issue are the use of
Columns rather than Balls and the use of an underfill.

> Perez, Raul wrote:
>
> > There is a Joint Industry Standard by both the IPC and the EIA on
> > Implementation of Ball Grid Array and other High Density Technology.
> >
> > J-STD-013
> >
> > Check out these pages for more info.
> > http://www.ipc.org
> > http://www.eia.org

An additional resource is Motorola's application note
AN1231, available as a pdf file on their web site. Afraid
you'll have to perform a search as I did not keep the link.

Regards to all,

--

      Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
      Chief Technical Officer                      Tyngsboro, MA  01879