RE: [SI-LIST] : stackup question

Silbert, Steven F. ([email protected])
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:42:44 -0400

Roland and John,

The buried capacitance material to which John referred is a 2 mil thick
single-ply laminate. The use of this technology has certain costs
associated with it from a board fab standpoint. Roland may be referring
to having two cores separated by a single ply of b-stage (prepreg) as
pictured below. Either option implies that single-ply construction of
the board will be necessary. Most board shops are familiar with
single-ply constructions and use them wherever possible as a method of
cost reduction. If the scenario outlined below is used, the biggest
potential problem for a prepreg dielectric that is 2-2.5 mils thick is
the possibility of cut-through. This is where the two pieces of copper
facing each other on different cores form a shear and, when laminated,
cut through the glass reinforcement to become extremely close together
in the final board (this is not desirable). The chance of the
occurrence of this effect is minimized since the two pieces of copper
are wide planes and not isolated circuits (higher pressure zones).

Signal
xxxxxcore
Ground
prepreg