RE: [SI-LIST] : measuring CMOS Cin with HP4275A

Shenoy, Jay ([email protected])
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 14:46:03 -0700

Hi Greg,

The measurements I set up with an HP4275A were about 4 years ago,
and there is a crucial
principle of operation "schematic" that I can recall only with partial
certainity. In that context,
(& with the disclaimer above of less-than-perfect recollection of
details of operation), it seems to
me that you might want to excahnge the Hp/Hc pair with the Lp/Lc pair,
i.e. connect the
Hp/Hc to ground and Lp/Lc pair to the SMA center pin.

When you are conducting measurements on isolated DUT's , it is
possible to gloss over
the difference between the Hp/Hc and Lp/Lc pairs, which explains the
success of the first of
your measurements. However, (if I remember correctly) the Hp has a AC
voltage source and
there is an AC ammeter through the Lp/Lc pair, so putting a big
capacitor on Hp/Hc (e.g.
you connecting your power supply) just means that the AC voltage source
has to feed that
capacitor too,& if you don't see the AC voltage source dropping
precipitously in magnitude on the front
panel (somewhere on the right side) , the measurement per-se has not
been affected. However,
if you put the same capacitor (as you seem to have) on Lp, you've just
provided an alternate
current path for DUT current, which was supposed to flow through the AC
ammeter for correct
measurement...

The only point where my hypothesis does not match up with what you
say, is that it predicts
reading an _underflow_ and a lot of fluctuation on the reading. But it
is worth the try, since the
suggestion I have (exchange the Hp/Hc with Lp/Lc) is very simple...

Regards
Jay Shenoy