Re: [SI-LIST] : Impedance of micro-strip over wide ground trace

[email protected]
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:36:08 -0800

Hi Roland,

Your original question concerned the impedance of a 40 conductor flex
circuit; it is not clear how this new question relates to your original
question but here's an answer:

The general rule of thumb is that the finite width ground plane will be
indistinguishable from an infinite width ground plane (within a few percent)
when the edges of the ground are at least 3 times the height from edge of
the signal line, that is:

W > 6H + w

However, I should also say that with modern tools it is not necessary to
make such approximations. It is quite simple to calculate the impedance of
such lines with any width and spacing and including conductor thickness and
realistic dielectric shapes. In general the impedance is complex (real and
imaginary parts) and frequency dependent and this complex impedance can be
calculated in the low frequency limit, the high frequency limit, or in the
transition region. Even if there is no analytic expression for your
geometry of interest, one can often create a one or two dimensional curve
fit to a series of calculated data points when parameter variation is required.

Hope this is helpful.

Eric
Eric Wheatley Ph.D. (760) 942-9426 (phone)
Alterra Technology Co. (760) 942-2366 (fax)
435 Dunsmore Ct. [email protected]
Encinitas, CA 92024 US