Re: Re[2]: [SI-LIST] : power supply filtering and bypassing

John Fisher ([email protected])
Fri, 06 Mar 1998 12:18:49 -0800

to the Si list,

Ray makes some fine points on this topic.

I have been looking at some simple low pass filters(RC and RLC) for
individual devices with internal PLL's sensitive to low frequencies in the
500 - 900 kHz range. In this application a series 5-10 Ohm should work
well with only one device drawing current through it. The SPICE ideal AC
source does a good job for matching the low source impedance presented by
the power planes.

Has anyone had any luck getting good spice models for surface mount Ferrite
beads?? One vendor gives out a very simple model good for one discrete
frequency, this is pretty useless when sweeping the frequency in SPICE.

Also on the issue of saturation with ferrites and inductors, I haven't
seen any discussion of this in the data sheets. Any ideas out there other
than to stay well below the max current rating? I have seen some
applications with 3 parallel ferrite beads side by side on the board to
avoid saturation, this scares me a little, can there be any self
resonance effects similar to what can happen when bandspreading bypass caps
or does the loss of the ferrites prevent this?

John

John M. Fisher -- Cisco Systems -- [email protected]
170 W. Tasman Dr., Bldg G, San Jose CA 95134-1706
__ _ _
\/
Signal Integrity Engineer, Enterprise Line of Business
408-527-9186, Fax 408-526-5504, N6PFN

At 09:05 AM 3/6/98 -0800, Ray Anderson wrote:

> I just wanted to echo Ed's ([email protected]) comments
regarding