Re: [SI-LIST] : Overshoot/Undershoot

D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 14:56:58 -0700

Bill Dempsey wrote:

> I have a question. When the term "undershoot" is used
> on this mail group is it to be interpreted as "negative overshoot"?
> Or in fact are some engineers having undershoot problems?

Alas, 'tis true. For too many years the digital crowd, having
heard the term 'undershoot' but never really worked with it,
assumed that it was what is known more precisely, negative-going
overshoot. Books, articles, and instrumentation all made
this usage the only one known to many young and impressionable
engineers.

> My experience would indicate that most persons referring to
> undershoot really mean overshoot below 0V.

Well, sometimes they mean overshoot below -2v, and a very few
deal with other signalling levels, but essentially correct.

--
D. C. Sessions
[email protected]