Re: [SI-LIST] : bypass cap question (long, simple)

Vinu Arumugham ([email protected])
Sun, 01 Feb 1998 11:12:33 -0800

>My component placement places all of the 3 volt components above the
>midline of the board, and all of the 5 volt components below the midline.

Is it not possible then to use a single layer to implement both power planes?
A 3.3V plane in the top half and a 5V plane in the bottom half of the board.

The stack-up could look like this:

1 Horizontal
2 GND Plane
3 Vertical
4 3.3/5V
5 GND Plane
6 Horizontal
7 GND Plane
8 Vertical

In your tentative stack-up, you may also need 1000pF capacitors between the
3.3V and 5V planes for image currents, if you have signals that switch between
layers 4 and 5.

In the above stack-up, if the moat between 5V and 3.3V is <10 mil, signals on
layer 3 that cross the moat will be minimally affected.

Vinu