[SI-LIST] : How to identify SSO groups?

Manix Velu ([email protected])
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:21:04 +5:30

Hi Alaa F.Alani,

It is not even 1ns. Even switching within 10nsec width also may be
considered as SSO. What our vendors propose thus is to use a delay of
around half-a-clock (say for about 40 to 60 ns) to skew the outputs
of around 12mA typ sinking a load capa of 500pF!!!

Regards,
Manix Velu.

> Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 09:39:01 GMT
> From: [email protected] (alaa alani)
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] : SSO : How to identify SSO groups?
> Cc: [email protected]

> Hi Praveen,
>
> It depends on how long it takes for the current to drop to a certain level (eg 0mA)
> but 1nsec seems to be acceptable (i.e. those i/o buffers switching within 1nsec
> are considered as simultaneously switching).
>
> Rgds,
>
> Dr. Alaa F. Alani
> Senior Signal Integrity Eng.
> LSI Logic
> UK
>

> > From [email protected] Fri Dec 19 23:15:02 1997
> > Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:50:28 -0800
> > From: [email protected] (Praveen G Shekokar)
> > To: [email protected]
> > Subject: [SI-LIST] : SSO : How to identify SSO groups?
> > Sender: [email protected]
> >

> > We are using our foundaries SSO rules to calculate number of VDD/VSS
> > pins required for our ASIC. Before we can use the SSO rules we need to
> > identify signals that form a SSO group. The conventional technique I know
> > of is to group signals of similar functionality into a SSO group e.g.
> > Address/Data bus.
> >
> > In practice we have noticed that not all the signals of such a group have
> > identical delays. Further they may not have identical output loads. Variable
> > delays implies that not all the outputs switch at the same. E.g.
> >
> > Let output1 switch at time T and output2 at time T+t1. If t1 is small then the
> > switching current for output1, say I1, will overlap with switching current
> > for output2, say I2, leading to overall increase in the switching current.
> > But if t1 is more than the time required for I1 to reduce to 0 then the
> > overall switching current is going to be limited to max of I1 and I2.
> >
> > I want to know whether there are any guide lines for value of t1 that one
> > can use to decide whether a signal is part of a SSO group.
> >
> > Value of t1 is also required in designing address/data stepping.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > - Praveen Shekokar

E-Mail: [email protected]
Shuttle Technology Ltd.,
32, St. Therese Street,
P.B.225,
Pondicherry - 605001,
India.

Office Telephone : 91.413.62301
Residence Telephone : 91.413.40535
Facsimile Number : 91.413.62095
DISA Office Telephone : 91.413.62099 <wait for intercomm tone> <press*> <press208>