Re[4]: [SI-LIST] : Decoupling capacitor selection & plac

[email protected]
Thu, 30 Oct 97 08:20:21 EST

The EmCap material has a dielectric constant of ~50. I was wondering
about the transmission speed as well. I looked at what the capacitance
is at a given frequency based on an area of 1/6th wavelength away (or
what area would act like a lumped circuit) and I found that the
material acted slightly better than a 0.1uF or a .001uF 1206 SMT cap
impedance-wise.
10" x 10" Circuit Board
Impedance
Freq EmCap 0.01uF 1206 0.1uF 1206
1Khz 628.760 15915.494 1591.549
2.5Khz 251.504 6366.198 636.620
5Khz 125.752 3183.099 318.310
10Khz 62.876 1591.549 159.155
25Khz 25.150 636.620 63.662
50Khz 12.575 318.310 31.831
100Khz 6.288 159.154 15.915
250Khz 2.515 63.660 6.365
500Khz 1.258 31.828 3.181
1Mhz 0.629 15.909 1.588
2.5Mhz 0.252 6.350 0.627
5Mhz 0.126 3.150 0.301
10Mhz 0.063 1.526 0.135
25Mhz 0.025 0.474 0.148
50Mhz 0.047 0.104 0.329
100Mhz 0.093 0.541 0.683
250Mhz 0.233 1.667 1.724
500Mhz 0.465 3.425 3.454
1Ghz 0.931 6.896 6.911
2.5Ghz 2.327 17.273 17.278
5Ghz 4.654 34.554 34.557
10Ghz 9.308 69.114 69.115
25Ghz 23.270 172.787 172.788
50Ghz 46.540 345.575 345.575
100Ghz 93.080 691.150 691.150
I have much more work to do on these distrubuted capacitance planes.

Thanks!
Todd DeRego
HADCO