Re: [SI-LIST] : Re: delay lines with PCB traces

Xingchao Yuan ([email protected])
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 11:58:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Bob.

By 2.5D, I mean the electric current flows on xy planes (assuming the layer
stack is in z direction) except on vias. In those solvers I mentioned, they typically
assume both the ground plane and dielectrics extend to infinity. (Sonnet uses a different
technique assuming the circuit is inside a metal box). Some of the vendors
claim their tools to be "3D plannar" because they sound better. What they
really mean is that tool can handle more complicated cases such as taped
vias rather than restricting to vertical vias only.

I hope this explains it.

-Xingchao Yuan, Ph.D.
Cadence Design Systems, Inc.