RE: [SI-LIST] : SSO in ASICs

Edlund, Greg ([email protected])
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 08:50:27 -0400

John,

These are some really good questions. Providing a set of pin usage
rules for an ASIC is a tough job. In my experience, SSO noise is very
dependent on the load -- certainly for the turn-on transient. You'll
want to know exactly what your ASIC vendor's assumptions were in writing
the rules and then determine if they are applicable to the net
topologies you have in mind. It may be the vendor is trying to give you
some guidelines to "keep you out of trouble." Pursuing the question
further than that may get into deeper waters. For example, how
sensitive are you to SSO-induced delay modulation? Does the vendor have
a spec for this? How about other noise contributors? If the vendor's
SSO rules push you to the limits of the receiver's noise margins, is
there room for PCB crosstalk? Connector crosstalk? Package crosstalk?
What exactly were the criteria for determining acceptable SSO noise?

Depending on how far you're pushing your technologies, you may want to
get a fully-coupled package model and SPICE subcircuits of the drivers.
Then you can simulate the real system loading and how SSO noise
interacts with your net topologies. Then there's the whole question of
model validation, which is no picnic. How well do you trust your ASIC
vendor's silicon and package modeling capabilities?

I don't mean to seem overly pessimistic. It may be that you don't need
to go to all this trouble. But it certainly pays to look into the SSO
rules and whether they are relevant to your application, as you've
already begun to do. As one of my co-workers used to say, "If it were
easy, they'd get monkeys to do it!"

Greg
Greg Edlund , Principal Engineer
Alpha Server Signal Integrity