[SI-LIST] : Power/ground plane models

Raymond Chen ([email protected])
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 02:24:32 -0400 (EDT)

Larry,

We have been doing chip carrier and printed circuit board analyses with
our newly developed software tool SPEED97 so I did some simulation on your
"10 inch square board and 2 mil FR4 between power and ground plane".

Just as what you said, we found package resonance at about 590 MHz,
830MHz, and so on. The power and ground plane structure is capacitive at
the low frequency and its capacitance is about 45 nF in the low frequency
limit.

However, the power and ground planes in a PCB are somewhere connected to a
power supply that has a very small internal impedance. In that case, the
power and ground plane structure is inductive instead of capacitive at the
low frequency. The value of this inductance depends on any factors, such
as where the power supply is connected to the power and ground planes,
how many connections are made between the power supply and the power and
ground planes, and the radius of via(s) connected to the power and ground
planes, etc. The inductance value does not seem to be easy to estimate.
Moreover, we found package resonance at frequencies much lower than 600
MHz.

Some examples that I tested have been placed in SIGRITY's web site
(www.sigrity.com). These examples show the input impedances of the power
and ground plane structure from DC to 1 GHz, and the effective capacitance
and inductance from DC to 50MHz. You can also download these examples
and a demo SPEED97 program from the web site so you can run these examples
on your own machine.

Regards,

Raymond Chen
SIGRITY