RE: resend the question. (The Criteria of overshoot, undershoot, RingBack for different logic types

John Lin - TAO ()
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 08:59:49 +0800

Hi Andy,

I agree your points about ringback. If the ringback won't cause any
misjudge in logic level, the ringback in not harmful.
However, Generally speaking, big overshoot will cause big ringback.
The overshoot is a kind of "STRESS TEST" for device itself. For long
run, It will cause reliability issue for the device. Also the big
undershoot will cause latch-up problem and burn the device.

I think that the over/undershoot is more harmful than the ringbacks for
a logic
device.

The ringback here is the magnitude over the supply voltages(VCC and
VSS). Therefore the ringback 0.8v for LVTTL (3.3V) is about 2.5V (=
3.3-0.8) for overshoot ringback. and 0.8V(=0+0.8) for undershoot
ringback.

Thanks,

JohnLin -TAO
CAE Engineer of the EDA Department.