RE: Shielding

Grasso, Charles ([email protected])
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 08:17:59 -0600

Interesting topic.

I used to use guardbands years ago when I first started in the EMC
buisness. After a while, and a little
research, I have stopped using them as a primary EME protection tool. I
will still use them as a crosstalk
mitigation tool for circuits with high impedance inputs, for example.

The concept of guardbands, on the surface, looks beneficial but the
implementation is difficult and still controversial.
For example, I downloaded some "EMI design rules" that emphatically
state guard bands should only be grounded
at one end!!

There was also a paper at the Santa Clara EMC Symposium that indicated
that the inductance of the ground
plane was reduced with guard bands. In my opinion, the measured
reduction was an artifact of the test set up
& not real (Comments any one).

I concur with others on this discussion area:
1. Tightly coupled traces to planes is MORE beneficial for EME
reduction than guardbanding.

2. Guardbands are difficult to implement and consume board space.

3. Guardbands could be used as a crosstalk mitigation tool (depending
on the design).

Charles Grasso
EMC Engineer
StorageTek