Re: Shielding/ Guardbanding

Heinz Blennemann ([email protected])
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 16:57:31 -0700

I too have heard arguments for and against guardbanding
critical traces (analog or digital).

The main reasons for guardbanding I have heard are
1. reduced coupling to neighboring lines
2. reduced EMI
3. guardbands provide return current for a
signal line crossing a slotted groundplane

The counter-arguments are
1. to reduce coupling, it is more space efficient
to simply space the signal lines further apart
(in the cases I have analyzed, for constant Zo
and crosstalk, "spacing further apart"
has indeed allowed higher densities than "guardbanding")
2. I have been told that EMI due to vias is more
significant than EMI due to a stripline that
does not change layers. So, for non-adjacent
signal-layer-jumps (see Prof. Merkelo's or
Dr. Cheung-Wei Lam's work), for guardbanding to be effective,
one would also need to "guardband vias."
In order to complete the return current path,
a signal via would be paired with a ground via.
Such doubling the number of vias may
be undesirable in routing-constrained layouts.
3. as for using guardbands for crossing slots,
even though it is a good idea to avoid the slots
in the first place, guardbands have an application here.

So, my vote is, in general, avoid guardbands.

Any feedback, particularly from someone who has modeled
the EMI effects?

Heinz

--