RE: Partial Inductance

Edlund, Greg ([email protected])
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 16:46:45 -0400

I myself don't have a problem with currents that don't form a loop.
After all, current is just charge moving past a point (or through a
surface, or through a volume). And if you're moving along with the
charge, it isn't a current at all, right? Witness the quarter-wave
dipole antenna. When a time-dependent magnetic field cuts the wire, a
current is induced, right? There doesn't need to be a loop for the
charge in the copper to move around.

Now about partial inductances: seems like this is kind of a
mathematical construct to let us think about inductive voltage drops in
much the same way we think about Ohmic drops, i.e. that they add up to
zero around a loop. (Most of us would rather think in terms of i and v
rather than E and B.) OK - I'll buy that. But you need to DEFINE the
rest of the current loop in order for the partial inductance to have any
meaning, don't you? After all, inductance is defined by current loops.
Otherwise you have people saying things like, "The inductance
per-unit-length of a 1 mil diameter wire in free space is blah, blah,
blah..." Antennas might not need a loop to have current, but SPICE
surely does. And I can't talk about - or accurately simulate - the
voltage on the chip-side of a 1 mil diameter bond wire unless I know
where the current is coming from and where it's going.

p.s. Wouldn't it be cool to take a short course called "Maxwell's
Equations Applied to Modeling Packages, Connectors, and Transmission
Lines?" Then those of us with a dim memory of the material could speak
with more authority!

Greg Edlund , Principal Engineer
Alpha Server Signal Integrity
Digital Equipment Corp.