Re: animation program to show travelling wave

Dmitri Kuznetsov ([email protected])
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:30:51 -0700

You could break a transmission line into small segments in Spice. That
will give you position/time data for voltage and current waves. You
could plot the data simultaneously in a single plot to see how the waves
propagate along the line, or you could animate a set of plots in
Mathematica.

If you want to see 3D field distributions, you will have to use a
program based on a time domain method such as finite-difference time
domain (FDTD) or transmission-line matrix (TLM) methods. These are
available from universities such as University of Illinois or
Pensilvania State University, but complicated to use, and will take from
many hours to several days (depending on the line length) on PC with at
least 64 Megs of memory for a single line. In addition, conventional
FDTD is not even able to handle conductor loss with any practical
efficiency.

Regards,
-- Dmitri Kuznetsov

Dmitri Kuznetsov, Ph.D.
R&D Engineer

Avant! Corporation e-mail: [email protected]
1208 E. Arques Ave. Tel: (408)328-8631
Sunnyvale, CA 94086-5401 Fax: (408)738-8508