Re: Modeling - Fast Tr

Ray Anderson (raymonda@radium)
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 14:31:25 -0700

I am forwarding Tomm's reply to the message I forwarded earlier.
Please reply to the list not me !

-Ray

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From [email protected] Wed Sep 4 14:24:18 1996
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 96 14:15:00 PDT
From: Tomm V Aldridge <[email protected]>
To: Raymond.Anderson@Eng
Subject: Re: Modeling - Fast Tr

Text item:

IF this is your number one problem then I suggest option 4 with Maxwell
spicelink or an equivalent. If it is lower on the priority list then I
would use option 2.

Tomm

Subject: Modeling - Fast Tr
Date: 9/4/96 12:37 PM

I am forwarding this message from Fabrizio Zanella at Teradyne
([email protected]). The mail forwarding system choked but I think
I have it fixed now.

Ray Anderson

-----------------------forwarded message starts here------------------------

REGARDING Modeling - Fast Tr

Hope everyone has had a good summer.
I have a generic question regarding creating interconnect models for
simulation at extremely fast rise times. The scenario is this: signals with
150ps rise time are being transmitted through an interconnect, like a right
angle connector, which is 200ps long. Since the connector is electrically
long, what is the best alternative for creating an electromagnetic model that
will yield accurate results at 150ps edge rates? My options are, using BEM or
FEM analysis:
1) Break connector into seven to ten 2D slices, and create lumped element
model subcircuits
2) Break connector into seven to ten 2D slices, and create distributed model
subcircuits
3) Draw a one section 3D model of the connector, and create a lumped element
subcircuit.
4) Draw a one section 3D model of the connector, and create a distributed
model subcircuit.
Any feedback or past experiences or mention of other methods would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks and regards,
Fabrizio Zanella
Signal Integrity Engineer