Re: Connectors and cables for high-speed digital signals

Tim Nustad x7-4361 ([email protected])
Fri, 26 Jul 96 10:22:59 CDT

Per Torstein Roeine had a recent question on cabling solutions
for board to board high speed digital interconnects. I thought
I would pass along some experiences we have had. In both of the
cases discussed, costs requirements prevented the use of a typical
RF coaxial connectors.

AMP Z Pack
===========
We have used the Amp Z Pack connector system for one application
here that required high speed board to board interconnect. It
may give you some ideas.

If the flexibility required of your "cable" is not extreme, it is
possible make your cable system out of the Z pack connectors mounted
to a small flexible circuit board. The flex circuit can be built
as a 50 ohm strip line or microstrip. In a simple picture:

________________|--| |X|--------------|X| |--|_________________
^ ^
circuit board ^ ^ ^ circuit board
| | |
Zpack | | flex circuit board

Zpack

We built a flex circuit board with 10 layers (5 signal layers, 5 ground
layers, with the outer layers being ground). The flex circuits where
about 6cm wide, and 1m long. There where 64 signals in each flex circuit
"cable" The cables where able to bend around an 8cm radius.

The flex circuit can be costly, but the assembly of the cable is simple and
cheap as you do not have to terminate multiple wires, you simply solder
the Zpack connectors to the flex board. The completed cable was nearly the
same cost as a traditional cable made of miniature coax bundles.

Amplimite 050
=============
If you need the flexibility of a traditional cable, we have also made
successful use of the Amplimite 050 series shielded connectors. In this
case we have cable bundles of 16 to 32 miniature 50 ohm coax cables
terminated to the Amplimite connectors. Each coax center and ground
have their own pin pair in the connector.

This Amplimite system does not maintain a 50 ohm impedence through the
connector. We have found that the small discontinuity the connector
presents is very tolerable in our application up to 200Mhz. I would encourage
you to experiment with some of the well shielded "non RF" connectors such
as this. They can have quite good results, if the cabling and termination
impedences are well behaved.

Regards,

Tim Nustad
Lead Program Integrator