Re: component over-stress

George Stevens/UB Networks ([email protected])
13 Mar 96 10:42:28 EDT

Thanks to all who have responded to this issue. I have included several of the
communications and highlighted (in bold)
what I think may be more pertinent, at this point, to our current situation. To
review, our problem is that a number of these
devices (Srams from Quality Semiconductor) have become damaged in the field and
our only data points are:
-it does not occur on other vendor parts (newer versions)
-out of the 8 Sram array, 5 out of the 8 locations have shown failures (no
failure history to characterize failures at
the pin level)
-one device Failure Analysis by the manufacturer finds an address pin open and
carbon deposits on internal
Vcc/Gnd structures, and a failure characterization of over-stress" by the
application (us).
-over/undershoot measurements on one of the failure locations to reveal no
chip spec violations (during normal
operation), however negative undershoot was observed ranging from -1v to
-2.3v (~-1v for <5ns) constantly.
the manufacturer guarantees latchup immunity to -3v @ 20ns (and advertises
"'excellent latchup immunity")

I believe the comments pertaining to V at input > Vcc is a likely cause. We
will next focus on these types of analysis during system
power up/down and system "hot insertion" modes. Also, it sounds from the
discussions that bus contention would result in a
different failure mode seeing as the Failure Analysis identified a toasted
input pin as well as it being a single driver load..

Questions:
-does latchup condition normally result in a "toasted" Vcc and Gnd structures
on the same IC? Can this effect
be cumulative? The failure mode in the field reports the boards
malfunctioning and requiring manual reset
(I don't believe they were powered down), which worked for several
iterations, then the discovery of the toasted
Srams.

-Are you people interested in hearing more of this saga as it unfolds??? or is
this just nuisance?? I find your
discussions extremely helpful........ Thanks again,

George Stevens
Senior Sustaining Engineer
UB Networks, Andover Ma.

Following is selected communications on this issue: