RE: [SI-LIST] : Proposal: Rs correlation/collaboration for W-Elem

[email protected]
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:40:05 -0400

Vadim,
Here is a partial answer to your question of two months ago. Most printed
circuit boards (PCB's) are made with electrodeposited copper foil. The cathode
side is plated directly on the drum and will be smooth, while the side that
faced the plating bath will be rough, giving it some "tooth" to help it adhere
to the laminate. Flat cables that must withstand many bending cycles, such as
cables to inkjet printer printheads, will be made from wrought copper, which has
been rolled from a copper billet and thus is smooth on both sides. It is a
common practice for PCB and flat cable manufacturers to lightly etch ("treat")
the copper foil before laminating the layers together to provide a better bond
between the foil and laminate/prepreg layers. In a subtractive process the
surface roughness of etched traces should be reasonably close to the surface
roughness of the copper foil that you started with. In an additive or
semi-additive process additional copper is plated onto the starting foil, so the
final surface will be rougher than the starting foil. Deburring drill holes and
some cleaning processes using brushes or mild abrasives can also roughen the
surface.

So I would treat the following information from IPC-MF-150F, Metal Foil for
Printed Wiring Applications, as a MINIMUM surface roughness to expect:

3.5.6 Surface Finish
The following requirements for metal foil surface finish shall apply to the
cathode side of electrodeposited foil (if untreated) and to both sides of
wrought foil (if untreated).

The metal foil surface finish shall have a maximum arithmetical average value of
0.43 micrometers [17 micro-inches], as determined by paragraph 4.5.9.

4.5.9 Surface Finish
Surface finish shall be determined in accordance with the requirements of Test
Method 2.2.17 of IPC-TM-650.

For qualification and quality conformance testing, a minimum of one specimen
will be tested for each sample required by the lot inspection plan.

IPC-TM-650, Test Methods Manual, 2.2.17, says:

1.1 The smooth sides of foils shall be evaluated using Ra.

Ra is defined as the arithmetic average value of all absolute distances of the
roughness profile from the center line within the measuring length,

1.2 The treated side of foils shall be evaluated using the parameter Rz (DIN) or
RTM which is defined as the average maximum peak to valley height of five
consecutive sampling lengths within the measurement length. This value is
approximately equivalent to the values of profile determined by microsectioning
techniques.

John Barnes Advisory
Engineer
Lexmark International

vadim.heyfitch%[email protected] on 08/03/99 09:58:16 PM

Please respond to si-list%[email protected]