RE: [SI-LIST] : the old high-frequency return current model

Dr. John L. Prince ([email protected])
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 08:49:46 -0700

At 08:05 AM 10/4/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Thanks everybody for writing back. I'm hearing some common themes about
return
>current distribution:
>
>1) Inter-plane capacitance is the first source of ac return current.
>
>2) "The shorter the rise time, the closer the via or de-cap." This
suggests to
>me that the return current distribution vs. frequency is really a
continuum from
>using the whole plane at dc to using a small swath under the trace at
microwave
>frequencies. If this adage is true, then there still must be a significant
>amount of return current at one rise time away from a signal via at most
of the
>frequencies we're interested in as signal integrity engineers.
>
>3) 2D field solvers don't assume anything about return current. I guess if I
>had thought long enough, this should have been clear. A 2D field solver
>essentially solves an electrostatic problem for capacitance, often
assuming an
>infinite plane, and then computes inductance using the telegraphers
equations.
>The magnetostatic problem is never solved. Nevertheless, they still provide
>accurate solutions from a return current perspective.
>
>Greg Edlund
>Advisory Engineer, Critical Net Analysis
>IBM
>3650 Hwy. 52 N, Dept. HDC
>Rochester, MN 55901
>[email protected]
>

>---------------------- Forwarded by Gregory R Edlund/Rochester/IBM on
10/04/99
>07:53 AM ---------------------------
>
>"Ingraham, Andrew" <[email protected]> on 09/30/99 02:02:40 PM
>
>To: "'[email protected] '"
> <"IMCEAMAILTO-gedlund+40us+2Eibm+2Ecom"@compaq.com>
>cc:
>Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] : the old high-frequency return current model
>

>Greg,
>
>Maybe the answer is that, even though the current distribution looks a lot
>different when the nearest decoupling cap is more than a few trace widths
>away, its effect on the impedance is just not that much to worry about?
>
>Kind of like the argument about using chamfered corners on trace bends.
>Yes, in theory you get an impedance discontinuity if you don't, but I think
>Ed Sayre says you'll never see it unless you operate well above 1GHz.
>
>If the cap is half an inch away from the via, that's around 80ps away. So
>unless the risetimes are of that order of magnitude or faster, then the
>discontinuity might be insignificant.
>
>But then at those kinds of speeds, our discrete capacitors are pretty much
>ineffective anyway. By that point we are relying on the intrinsic
>capacitance between layers. The higher you go in frequency, the better that
>intrinsic capacitance looks (and works).
>
>Regards,
>Andy Ingraham

I don't want to be too picky, but you assume that all 2D field solvers are
electrostatic. We (and I am sure many others) have developed years ago
(1990) a 2D magnetostatic solver which we use frequently and which gives us
all sorts of interesting results including current distributions, all in a
"New York minute". Although I must admit that for very high frequencies,
where the skin depth is small compared to the dimensions of the conductors,
the New York minute stretches out to perhaps a Texas minute (as a native
(rare bird!!) I am familiar with Texas minutes....sometimes they are long,
sometimes quite short).
John L. Prince, PhD
Professor
Director,Center for Electronic Packaging Research
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721
[email protected]
520-621-6187