RE: [SI-LIST] : Distinguishing Differential Models

Abe Riazi ([email protected])
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:43:21 -0700

Scott:

You have made an excellent point! One has to be careful that when
the differential IBIS model is translated into the native model format
of the simulator, the launch skew is not lost (it may require manual
incorporation). One interesting observation that I have made when
simulating (using XNS) differential models is that the nets associated
with both the inverting and non-inverting pins are displayed as a
"single net" waveform, which is very useful and allows evaluation of
symmetry.

In my original post (Distinguishing Differential Models), there were
few typographic errors that I recognized only after having sent the
email. Although minor, let me take this opportunity to correct them.
The name of the buffers in the IBIS model for both of the complementary
pins should have been identical, namely "outbufb". The XTK models
should have also displayed the same buffer model name, as corrected
below:

PIN 18 TYPE outbufb 20 NEG L=1.6 C=0.3
PIN 20 TYPE outbufb 18 POS L=1.6 C=0.3
(With [Diff Pin] present in the IBIS model), and

PIN 18 TYPE outbufb L=1.6 C=0.3
PIN 20 TYPE outbufb L=1.6 C=0.3
(When [Diff Pin] section removed from the IBIS model)

As emphasized in previous occasions, the driver models must be
calibrated for purpose of timing synchronization and this also applies
to differential drivers.

Regards,

Abe Riazi