Re: [SI-LIST] : Different oz copper for grounds

Mitch Morey ([email protected])
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 08:30:07 -0700

And the guessing games continue...

Hi Chris,

I get such a kick out of email "workgroups". With all of today's technologies, I still find questions being asked that I heard in the 80's.

Couple things. #1, you obviously work for Cadence, so why do you have questions regarding thermal issues. I would've thought YOU, of most all people would have available the best thermal tools to solve your problems. #2, it's
been a while since I've used 1 oz. copper for the signal layers, and been forever (the 80's) since I've used 2 oz. CU for anything. Why are you not using 1/2 oz. CU for the signal layers, and 1 oz. CU for the planes and some sort
of thermal attachment for your hot parts? I kind of get the assumption this is not a "power" board, because you don't mention that it is, so I don't quite see the need for the thermal "layer".

Questons, questions, questions. But, if you do have to go with the 2 oz. CU, it'll only cost you the dough, and more stackup height. The should be no negative effects, done in a quality fab house.

G'day!

Mitch
Sr PCB Designer
San Diego, CA