RE: [SI-LIST] : High signal density controlled impedance connecto

Bermensolo, Todd L ([email protected])
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:33:19 -0700

Michael,

I don't have any measurement data on the Mictor connector, but
Teradyne's VHDM connector is a quality connector. With it connecting two
boards together at 50ohm controlled impedance, TDR measurments showed
unnoticable impedance change as it passed through the VHDM. The only way I
could identify where the connector was on the measurement was by unplugging
the board to see where the open appeared. In the same measurement that was
taken, a Berg connector was also present in the system. Its location was
very noticable on the TDR measurement. The VHDM does have a price tag, but
it does have performance benefits.

Todd
Intel Corp.

-----Original Message-----
From: Greim, Michael [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 10:40 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: 'mgreim'
Subject: [SI-LIST] : High signal density controlled impedance connectors

I am currently going through an exercise to identify board 2 board
and board 2 cable options for our next generation products. With
a cursory look I have found the VHDM series from Teradyne and
our old favorite, the Mictor connectors from AMP. Can you
recommend any alternatives or comment on your experiences
with these connectors. I don't have pricing yet, but the Teradyne
connectors look a tad expensive. The application with be driving
LVTTL or LVDS signals (not especially far).

Gratuitously self promoting offerings from connector vendors
with be happily received through email. Please don't saturate
other group members mail boxes unless they request it.

Best Regards,

Michael

The bounds of Time, Space or Mechanics should never stand
in the way of a perfectly good idea.......

The time is gone, The email's over, thought I'd
something more to say.........

Michael C. Greim Consulting Engineer
Mercury Computer Systems, Inc email: [email protected]
199 Riverneck Road V: 978-256-0052/x1607
Chelmsford, MA 01824-2820 F: 978-256-4778

si-list, for more help, put HELP. si-list archives are accessible at
http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/si-list ****