RE: [SI-LIST] : "Picket Fence" (Via Fence) for increasing isolati

Barnes, Larry ([email protected])
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:40:26 -0600

All:

In addition to all the references cited so far there was a paper published
in the 1998 IEEE International Microwave Symposium Digest by Ponchak et al.
"Characterization of Plated Via Hole Fences of Isolation Between Stripline
Circuits in LTCC Packages" IEEE reprint # 0-7803-4471-5/98.

To summarize the results:

The frequency range examined was 10-40 GHz
Via-via spacing of 1.3x to 5x the via diameter
Via fences should be 4x the strip to ground plane distance
Using fences only locally where isolation is required actually degrades the
characteristics due to field perturbations that extend past end of the
fence.

Additional references cited in the article are:

"EM Modeling of Via Wall Structures for High Isolation Stripline" J. W.
Grippich, IEEE Int't Microwave Symposium Digest, 1994
"Multi-layered 3-D Packaging Issues" J. W. Grippich et al., IEEE Int't
Microwave Symposium Digest, 1997

Larry Barnes
LSI Logic
Colorado Springs, CO