RE: [SI-LIST] : Trace impedance measurement for dual stripline

John Lin - TAO ([email protected])
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:12:58 -0700

Dear Bill,

Thanks for your valuable information.

I will try to have a copy of IPC-TP-949.

The coupon I designed is that

G-S-S-P 0 (via connect gnd and pwd planes)
L2
0---------------------------------------------------------------\
/--------------------------------------------------
----------- /
\--------------------------------------------------
-------------0 Loop-round

L3
0---------------------------------------------------------------\
/------------------------------------------------
------------- /
\------------------------------------------------
---------------0

top view

x x
0 0
0
0 L2 L3
L2 L3

Note: X means vias.

As you can see, the vias connecting power and ground planes are only
on one end of coupon.

L2 and L3 traces are parallel and located on the layer 2 and Layer 3
respectively.

The side view will be
----------G
--- L2
--- L3
----------P
It looks different from what you suggested.

Yours is like
-------------G
--- L2
---L3
--------------P

Will the difference make trace impedance waveform like ramp ,not a
straight line.
My TDR outputs a pulse with 35ns rising time.

You can see that the total trace length for L2/L3 is about 8 inch.

Please give any comments to my coupon.
Thanks for your help.

JOHNLIN
CAE Engineer of EDA Department