Re: [SI-LIST] : About the AC analysis with HSPICE

Dmitri Kuznetsov ([email protected])
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:04:35 -0700

Rachild,

The main cause of underestimated loss in your testcase is the Hspice's
fieldsolver that extracts RLGC parameters from the input geometry. For
ac analysis, the transmission-line model just uses the exact analytical
solution for the given RLGC.

The recent Rs correlation in SI reflector has shown that the Hspice's
field solver produces Rs that is almost a factor of 2 smaller than Rs'
from other fieldsolvers. This is because it assumes constant current
distribution for Rs calculation whereas other quasi-static field solvers
employ the perturbation approach which is more accurate at higher
frequencies.

The field solver I put into Hspice was written by TMA and uses my
exponential approximation technique to accelerate solution for
multilayered dielectric. As a result, it runs orders of magnitude
faster than other fieldsolvers if you have many different dielectric
layers. The same technique is used by Cadence's DFSigNoise. It is very
good for quickly extracting large boards. If you want accurate
wide-range correlation with measurements, you should use a full-wave
fieldsolver, such as that from Ansoft, and you may still need to
calibrate RLGC's with measurements.

All quasi-static fieldsolvers solve only for L and C, and neglect
resistive loss. R and Rs are computed using simple formulas by
perturbation assuming lossless current distribution. But full-wave
fieldsolvers are prohibitively slow for extracting large designs.

Mike is absolutely right about the frequency-dependent RLGC. Hspice's W
element uses parameterized frequency dependence: R(f) = Ro + Rs*Sqrt(f),
G(f) = G0 + f*Gd. So Ro, Lo, Co, Go, Rs, and Gd parameters are
constant, but R(f) and G(f) are frequency dependent.

As Ray mentioned, there are also higher-order linear and even quadratic
loss terms in microstrip due to radiation and surface wave
propagation along the dielectric interfaces. However, all the
microstrip measurements I have seen, fit the Sqrt() resistive loss very
well up to at least 10 GHz.

The .net in Hspice simply inserts reference resistors. S parameters are
then readily calculated from the voltages at the insertion ports. You
can easily use this technique manually in a simulator that does not have
.net or if you need to extract S matrix for more than 2 ports.

I would like to respond to Ron's comments. Spice is, among many other
capabilities, a frequency-domain simulator. In particular, Hspice has
an FFT/convolution model where one can specify an arbitrary frequency
table. But the main advantage of this type of frequency-domain
techniques is generality and straightforward algorithms, not accuracy.

Best regards,
Dmitri

Dmitri Kuznetsov, Ph.D.
Principal Engineer

ViewLogic Systems, Inc. e-mail: [email protected]
1369 Del Norte Rd. Tel: (805)278-6824
Camarillo, CA 93010 Fax: (805)988-8259