Re: [SI-LIST] : PCB impedance variation v.s. layout pattern

S. Weir ([email protected])
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:33:43 -0700

Doug,

I am at a loss to see the basis of the disagreement. We both agree that
there is increased shunt capacitance and inductance in the region of the
meander between incremental segments of the trace, and that each effect
leads to the decreased impedance.

Perhaps I misunderstood your intent when you stated:

"What's interesting with the case originally asked
is that characteristic impedence is theoretically
immune to length. Thus, even if the meandering
does add more capacitance from it's relationship
with the ground plane, it also adds more inductance
because of the increased length. Since characteristic
impedence is dependent on the per length values of
capacitance and inductance, it would require IMHO,
the addition of another parameter in order to
change the CI. "

I interpreted that to mean that you contended that the meander did not
change the ratio of parallel capacitance to series inductance per unit
length. From your subsequent postings it does not appear that was your intent.

Regards,

Steve.