Re: [SI-LIST] : Schematic entry for HSPICE

Mike Degerstrom ([email protected])
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:04:49 -0500

Michael,

As Pat mentioned, ViewLogic's tools may fit your needs.
Since you are from Munich, I was wondering if you looked
at SPICECAD (www.spicecad.com) as they are also based
in Munich.

When I looked at SPICECAD a couple of years ago the
software seemed extremely powerful for signal integrity
work. I don't know how well the software is with library
management, however.

If you look into SPICECAD could you please let me know
what you find out?

Mike

On Aug 23, 6:48am, Pat Zabinski wrote:
> Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] : Schematic entry for HSPICE
> Michael,
>
> For the past year or two, we've been using ViewLogic's Spice
> Integration set of tools (ViewDraw, SpiceLink, ViewTrace, etc.)
> to perform the same task.
>
> For the most part, it works well. It has an simple and easy to
> learn interface, the schematic entry is straight forward, can
> directly write hspice-compatable decks, and allows for custom
> libraries. The one point I'm not certain on is "versions management."
>
> Overall, it has its pros (ease of use, cross-platform compatability,
> etc.) and cons (customization is difficult/limited, I personally
> don't like their standard libraries, plotting, etc.) like any
> other tool, but I believe it's worked well for our purposes as
> a GUI front end to Hspice. Again, we utilize our own form
> of "versions management" outside the tool, so I cannot comment
> on that aspect of it.
>
> If you have access to it or have the budget for it, we also use
> both Cadence's and Mentor's set of IC design tools as front
> ends. They work as well (in fact, our folks like them better),
> but they have a well defined cost ($$$) associated with them.
> In particular, the Cadence front end has a built-in waveform
> viewer that's quite nice and several integrated test point options
> that work well.
>
> If cost is not an issue, I'd suggest the Cadence
> IC tools route (of the three we use around here). If cost
> is an issue, I'd suggest ViewLogic's tool suite.
>

> Pat
>
> > Hello SI-list members,
> >
> > setting up and handling of signal integrity simulations above
> > a certain netlist complexity by manually writing HSPICE decks
> > is error-prone from our experience.
> >
> > It seems to be a safer, a more descriptive and more effective way
> > to deal with schematic views.
> >
> > So I am looking for a tool or set of tools which
> >
> > * is suitable for the needs of signal integrity simulations
> > * has a schematic entry
> > * can write HSPICE netlists
> > * has model library management and design versions management
> > capabilities
> >

> > Any recommendations, advices or comments?
> >
> > What is your experience concerning this topic?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Michael

In the BODY of message put: UNSUBSCRIBE si-list, for more help, put HELP.

>-- End of excerpt from Pat Zabinski

Mike Degerstrom         Email:    [email protected]
Mayo Clinic
200 1st Street SW
Gugg. Bldg. RM 1042A                 Phone:    (507) 284-3292
Rochester, MN 55905                    FAX:    (507) 284-9171
WWW:  http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg/sppdg_home_page.html