RE: [SI-LIST] : differential pair routing

Heyfitch, Vadim ([email protected])
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 16:43:03 -0700

I would vote with Jim. My argument for maintaining equal path length
over keeping constant impedance profile goes like this. Differential pairs
on a typical PCB stackup are only 30 to 40% differential (i.e. only 30 to
40% of the return current flows through the complementary trace of the
pair). Thus, where the traces in the pair are slightly diverged
(=uncoupled), there this fraction of the return current going through the
other trace drops down to some 5-10% for a short while until the traces come
close together again. In cases when this differential pair is driven by a
couple of single-ended drivers 180 degrees out of phase (as opposed to a
truly differential driver) this impedance bump due to the routing should be
even less of an issue.

Vadim

-----Original Message-----
From: Knighten, Jim L [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, August 13, 1999 2:27 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [SI-LIST] : differential pair routing

Mario,

While "bumps" in traces do present an impedance change, differences in path
lengths have a direct bearing on common-mode current generation leading to
radiated EMI. Delay skew increases common-mode current generation linearly
(for small delay skew values).

So, I would vote to maintain equal path lengths as closely as possible, even
at the expense of the impedance bumps.

Data on the bad EMI effects of delay skew was presented at last week's IEEE
EMC Symposium in Seattle.

Jim Knighten
Dr. Jim Knighten e-mail: [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>
Senior Consulting Engineer
NCR
17095 Via del Campo