RE: [SI-LIST] : Proposal: Rs correlation/collaboration for W-Elem

Dave Hoover ([email protected])
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 08:22:40 -0700

The copper foil profiles are on one side of the etch=20
(opposite drum side). The copper foil is manufactured by=20
plating to a large slow turning highly polished steel drum.=20
The side towards the drum is very smooth. The side away=20
from the drum gets plated with parameters to produce those=20
profiles.

As the copper weight goes down (like from 1 oz to=20
1/2 oz) the size of the dendrites (topology) decreases. Those
teeth are mainly used for adhesion purposes. Yes, it does make
a difference in electrical performance. (e.g., in the case of
distributed plane capacitance it is more favorable to have the
two drum sides facing each other). The microwave PTFE based
substrates offer a RA (rolled annealed) copper that is very
expensive but evidently has favorable electrical performance
characteristics. (RA foil has greatly reduced peel strengths)
At very high RF frequencies there also may be some differences=20
between copper foil suppliers from the actual grain sizes=20
(boundaries) of the copper foil. Not sure where that really=20
starts showing up. Unless the product is way up in frequency,
I think that surface finish selection would be more critical=20
than copper dendrites. (i.e., HASL vs Imm Gold vs White Tin or Ag)=20

Just my $.02

Dave Hoover=20