RE: [SI-LIST] : Proposal: Rs correlation/collaboration for W-Elem

Christopher Albert ([email protected])
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:21:54 -0400

I have had occasion to extract Rs from network analyzer measurements performed
on coaxial cables and microstrip lines. If anyone is interested, I can describe
the procedure I used. My results are hardly comprehensive, but they support the
assertions of others namely:

If the frequency is high enough that the skin depth is much less than any
dimension of the conductor cross section and the frequency is low enough that
the conductor surface effects can be ignored, then the approximation
Rs=A*sqrt(f) holds and inductance is essentially constant with frequency.

Although I have had surprisingly good luck estimating the constant, A, using a
2-D field solver, I suspect that a field solver is the wrong tool for this. The
most obvious reason is the difficulty in discretizing the conductor with
sufficient resolution to get information on current distribution at high
frequencies. I believe that there is also a sensitivity problem here as well-
relatively large variations in the current distribution near the surface of a
conductor may have a small effect on the parameters that are actually used to
characterise the solution accuracy. Perhaps those more knowledgeable than I can
confirm or deny this.

There are transmission line analysis tools out there that are based on curve
fitting procedures. I believe that the mathcad program that appeared on the list
falls into this category. These tools are limited to certain very specific
geometries, but for these geometries they can give fairly accurate estimates of
attenuation due to Rs (and thus Rs) at high frequencies. Some implementations
also have corrections for finite conductor surface roughness.

The real difficulty occurs when you need to know the low frequency response of
the line. In this regime, Rs=sqrt(f) is a poor approximation and inductance is a
function of frequency. Often we do not care about this low frequency dispersion;
however, you need to get it right in order to transform the frequency domain
response into a reasonable time response for simulation. I believe that there is
no closed form solution for the low frequency regime in the general case. The
exact nature of the response in this region will be dependent on the geometry of
the line (again I welcome corrections from those more knowledgeable). If you
want to integrate to get a time response (or if you care about the frequency
domain response at low frequencies) you need to have the low frequency response.
This is a thorny problem because it is not obvious how you could generated this
response at arbitrary frequencies without a full geometric input and a field
solver (this has problems also).

If I understand correctly, HSPICE has implemented equations for Rs(f) (and
effectively L(f)) that are chosen to have asymptotic behaviour of Rs=A*sqrt(f)
and L=constant at high frequencies. In addition, these functions are chosen such
that they can be transformed into a real, causal time domain function. It seems
that high frequency loss will be accurately modelled by this approach provided
the constant A is chosen correctly. I do not think that there are enough degrees
of freedom to model the low frequency response for an arbitrary conductor
geometry. Is my understanding correct ? Does anyone have a feel of the
significance of this ? I have a hunch that accurate representation of the low
frequency regime is necessary for modelling long term edge settling effects.
Perhaps there are other implications as well (TL's for power systems come to
mind).

Regards,
Chris Albert

"Mellitz, Richard" <[email protected]> on 08/03/99 12:57:09 PM

Please respond to [email protected]