Re: [SI-LIST] : coming up with average power estimates for buffers

Doug Yanagawa ([email protected])
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 16:36:34 -0700

Pat Zabinski wrote:

> One other point to note: as we increase the transmission line
> length, the RMS power goes up as well (as expected). However,
> this trend continues to a certain point, then the power actually
> reduces with increased line length. Can someone explain why
> the RMS power would be reduced with increased length? We're only
> seeing a small percentage change (~10-20%), but it's got
> me curious.

When the transmission line gets long relative to the switching
frequency, the driver is not completely charging and discharging the
net. Hmmm, maybe we could solve the worlds energy problems. But the
theoretical power mins might have nasty harmonics associated with them.

StratumOne Communications, Inc.
3900 Freedom Circle, Suite 102, Santa Clara, CA  95054
(408)496-3037 	(408)988-2571 fax