Re: [SI-LIST] : Proposal: Rs correlation/collaboration for W-Elements

Dmitri Kuznetsov ([email protected])
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 12:01:43 -0700

I agree with Richard, the really important factor is accuracy of Rs and
Gd values. As they are multiplied by frequency, a small error makes a
huge difference. But for a given Rs and Gd, my algorithm in W element
will give you mathematically accurate answer.

I would like to comment on the Sqrt(f)*(1+j)*Rs skin-effect equation
introduced in Hspice 99.2. It has mathematically correct imaginary
part, and does not require frequency-response correction. But this
equation is only valid for cylindrical conductors and only at higher
frequencies.

This skin-effect equation produces the corresponding inductive component
Ls(f)=Rs/(2*Pi*Sqrt(f)). Thus, the inductance becomes infinite at dc.
This substantially alters the waveforms especially when Rs is large.

This was the reason I used Rs*Sqrt(f) in W element. This equation gives
asymptotically correct loss, and I was restoring the correct imaginary
part for any, not just cylindrical, configuration by applying
frequency-response correction.

Regards,
Dmitri Kuznetsov

Dmitri Kuznetsov, Ph.D.
Principal Engineer

ViewLogic Systems, Inc. e-mail: [email protected]
1369 Del Norte Rd. Tel: (805)278-6824
Camarillo, CA 93010 Fax: (805)988-8259