Re: [SI-LIST] : Accuracy of Hspice's W element

Dmitri Kuznetsov ([email protected])
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:45:42 -0700

Ron Miller wrote:

> Hi Dmitri
>
> I thank you for the informative explanation about the W element.
>
> I would like to explore whether this model or any model will ever
> approach
> the accuracy of s-parameter simulation in the spice/time domain.
>
> My roots are in the frequency domain and I presently use ADS from HP
> with
> impulse, a frequency domain to time domain tool that does a real time
> convolution
> of the impulse response derived from the s-parameters.
>
> The only problem is it runs slow for the complexity of the circuit.
>
> Ron Miller

Hi Ron,

I am glad you asked this question, my work on transmission-line
simulation started as an attempt to improve accuracy of the S-parameter
model.

The conventional brute-force approach of taking FFT of S-parameters to
obtain impulse response and then using numerical convolution in the time
domain is very general. But it is not as accurate as one may think. It
has several substantial sources of error, I will name some of them.

First, a very small difference in S-parameters, say between S11=0.9999
and S11=0.9998, causes a several orders of magnitude difference in
corresponding admittance, and voltages and currents in the circuit
simulation. This is because the range of S-parameters is confined
between 0 and 1.

There is frequency-response discretization error as S-parameters for FFT
are sampled at discrete points. Typically, you may need 1024 frequency
points just to get moderate accuracy.

Then, there is the frequency-response truncation error.

There is also aliasing error of FFT. This error is huge at higher
frequencies, and the entire high-frequency half of the impulse response
has to be simply cut off to keep this error acceptable.

There is impulse-response truncation error.

Finally, there is discretization error of discrete-time convolution.

In my algorithm, I perform difference approximation of the frequency
response, and indirect numerical integration based on analytical
solution of the system differential equations in the time domain. Thus,
I eliminate completely all of the above errors. The only source of
error in my algorithm is the difference-approximation error, and it is
typically under 0.01% in the full frequency range.

So, my answer is that for transmission lines the accuracy of my
algorithm is much better than the FFT/convolution scheme can achieve
with any number of samples. As I explained in my previous email, the
difference between the ac and transient models, and multi-segment lines
is because of the frequency-response correction required by non-physical
f*Gd and Sqrt(f)*Rs loss equations, and not because of poor accuracy.
This correction would also be required if the FFT/convolution approach
was to be used with these loss equations.

However, the FFT/convolution algorithm is still the most general
approach that can handle arbitrary linear systems, and, presently, the
only way to use measured S parameters in a time-domain simulator with
reasonable accuracy. By the way, Hspice also has the FFT/convolution
model where you can specify an arbitrary frequency table. It has been
in Hspice for quite a while.

Best regards,
Dmitri Kuznetsov

Dmitri Kuznetsov, Ph.D.
Principal Engineer

ViewLogic Systems, Inc. e-mail: [email protected]
1369 Del Norte Rd. Tel: (805)278-6824
Camarillo, CA 93010 Fax: (805)988-8259