RE: [SI-LIST] : [SI-LIST] Positive ECL (PECL) voltage swings, but

Farrokh Mottahedin ([email protected])
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:48:06 -0700

Differential signaling alone doesn't help the situation since we're trying
to avoid common mode offsets and noise terms. AC coupling breaks ground
loops, and allows filtering of SCR spikes, etc. To reduce DC imbalance,
8b/10b encoding is employed. Other side benefits of AC coupling are
galvanic isolation ( a safety issue), and simplified receiver design due to
filtering out the DC component.

Regards,

Farrokh Mottahedin
Quantum Corporation