RE: [SI-LIST] : Accuracy of Hspice's W element

Drew Plant ([email protected])
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:50:29 -0700

I doubt if there are any real (=useful) closed-form
solutions for skin loss for stripline or microstrip traces.
Simple equations which assume for instance that the
skin-area in a stripline is planar/parallel to the ground/power
planes just don't work for making predictions of skin loss.

Good field solvers are inherently more accurate, because they take
into account the non-uniformity of the field at the trace edges.

Drew

Drew Plant
High-Speed I/O Product R&D
Integrated Circuits Business Division