Re: [SI-LIST] : Accuracy of Hspice's W element

Dmitri Kuznetsov ([email protected])
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 20:37:26 -0700

Dear SIers,

I am the developer of the transmission-line simulation technology used
by several popular simulators including Hspice's W element. Recently, a
number of postings in this reflector pointed out a discrepancy between
the ac and transient responses of W elements with frequency-dependent
loss. Although I am no longer with Avant!, I would like to respond in
defense of my algorithm.

The answer may surprise you... It is supposed to be this way. And it
does not indicate accuracy problems with either ac or transient model.
This is a quite interesting phenomenon, and I would like to explain it
here.

It is caused by non-physical nature of the Sqrt(f)*Rs skin-effect and
f*Gd dielectric-loss equations. They are lacking imaginary parts, or
the corresponding frequency dependence of L and C. Real and imaginary
parts of any analytic complex function cannot be arbitrary but are
uniquely related by Riemann-Cauchy equations. This is not obvious, as
one may envision specifying arbitrary unrelated functions for the real
and imaginary parts (and have done so in this case). But there are laws
for everything.

As a result, transient responses of transmission lines with Sqrt(f)*Rs
and f*Gd loss are non-causal, i.e. the response starts before the
excitation is applied. If you take FFT of the W-element's ac waveforms,
you can observe signal traveling faster than the speed of light, but it
is a mathematically accurate frequency-domain solution.

To assure correctness and accuracy of the transient solution, I change
the frequency response as to restore the correct relationship between
the real and imaginary parts. This is why the frequency responses of ac
and transient models are different.

The corrective change depends on line length. This creates another side
effect, a slight difference between transient responses of segmented and
unsegmented lines. The difference is small, as the correction affects
primarily higher frequencies at which both transmission-line responses
and excitation spectrum are significantly attenuated.

The transient model is just as accurate for non-zero Rs and Gd as it is
for constant loss, but with respect to the corrected frequency
response. In fact, I use the same frequency-dependent algorithm for
both cases. The accuracy is not improved by segmenting the line or
changing .option RISETIME from it's actual value. It is important to
set this option, especially for longer lines with low loss.

Another popular skin-effect equation, Sqrt(j*2*f)*Rs, has correct
real/imaginary part relationship and does not require correction.
However, its inductive component is L(f)=Lo+Rs/(2*Pi*Sqrt(f)), which
produces infinite inductance at dc, and causes other interesting
phenomena for large Rs.

I do have the solution that eliminates above problems. But I believe
that present Hspice's implementation of my algorithm is still good as it
provides a robust way to achieve simulation results that are very close
to measurements with minimum number of model parameters.

This was verified by many users, I would recommend downloading IMAPS
presentation by Jim Foppiano. It was discussed recently in this
reflector and contains comprehensive comparison of time-domain
measurements and W-element simulations with non-zero Rs and Gd.

I hope you found these comments useful. I have been working hard for 6
years developing my simulation technology, and can say with confidence
that it is by far the most accurate and general transmission-line
simulation method.

Regards,
Dr. Dmitri Kuznetsov

<