[SI-LIST] : Clue-by-four (was OVERSHOOT ... RATING)

D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:04:28 -0700

[email protected] wrote:

> As a board designer, I do not have much clout with the chip designers.

This is scary. I'm the I/O designer, and *I* don't have much clout with
the chip designers, and I are one. Usually I'm told that we can't do things
right because the customers (Yes, I mean you) won't tolerate it.

Until you guys find the right clue-by-four to disabuse OUR guys of this
notion we're all in trouble. I wasn't kidding when I invited you to get
rough with our marketing and sales suits -- the ONLY way we'll get
permission to do what we know is necessary is if they are in fear of
losing design wins.

> Even if
> I did they are constrained by the technology they want to use for many other
> reasons.

There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio,
than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

I wouldn't say that there isn't ANYTHING we can't do, but generally it's
much more likely to be a failure of will than a failure of technology.
I know that there are at least a few other I/O designers reading, so let's
take a straw poll: can you think of any practical SI features that
Just Can't Be Done?

--
D. C. Sessions