RE: [SI-LIST] : Noise Voltage levels vs. EMI levels

Chris Rokusek ([email protected])
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:18:15 -0700

David,

> Is there is an absolute noise voltage level that should never be exceeded?

Ultimately there is only the far field requirement. So the trick is to do
what you're trying to do and work back to the differential-mode source (via
the common mode noise voltage).

> Is there a way to "accurately" quantify the impedance's of the PCB ground
> plane and cables?

Two successful methods:

- 3D FDTD (finite difference time domain) can be used to plot
common-mode impedance of the cable configuration over wide frequency
range.

- MEASUREMENT!!

Numerous runs can be made with different cabling configurations (ground
position, shielding, location of connection to board) to come up with
re-usable heuristics.

> Can noise voltage become a PCB design specification?

Better yet the signal that CAUSES the noise voltage can be thresholded in
terms of: signal edge rate, voltage range, loop area, and driver strength
(VI curves), etc.

> Most importantly, when all is said and done, is there an "accurate"
> correlation between noise voltage and EMI levels?

Depends how accurate you need to be and of course how important it is to be
accurate. With the drastic EMI dependence on cable positioning, software,
mfg tolerances, process variation, it may only be necessary (and POSSIBLE!!)
to calculate a worst case number.

Chris Rokusek
Viewlogic Systems