Re: [SI-LIST] : Best type of models, edge rates & load

Adrian Shiner ([email protected])
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:42:49 +0100

Surely all this data sheet spec rise & fall times info is becoming "foo dust" as switches become faster? The slew rate of a voltage waveform at a given point on a printed circuit, driven from a perfect switch (zero switch time)
depends solely on the current source/ sink capability of the generator being switched, its approximation to a current or voltage source and the circuit impedance.
Why don't the IC manufacturers defne the output driver broadly in line with the above?

On the subject of semiconductor properties definition, In a broad band (500kHz to 150MHz) physically short antenna amplifier application: I get higher gain from an input circuit using 2N4393 FETs than using BF245A FETs. The former
is a switch, the later is a VHF/UHF amplifier device. Strange world !!