Re: [SI-LIST] : OVERSHOOT/MAX. VOLTAGE RATING

Poulet P. ([email protected])
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:26:51 -0700

Joachim,

I think you don't need ultra fast edge rates to be in trouble because of
overshoot and undershoot. If my humble experience can help you we once had a
terrible time understanding why a system was failing erratically knowing
that this same system had been working perfectly for 5 years. We finally
discovered that we had more overshoot and undershoot on signals in a bus
extension path. This over and undershoot occurred because of a die shrink on
one of the component at the interface. Terminating the lines got rid of the
problems. We worked closely with the manufacturer of the component to try to
quantify the effect of undershoot and overshoot we never got a clear answer
to that and it is somehow understandable.

--
Philippe