Re: [SI-LIST] : OVERSHOOT/MAX. VOLTAGE RATING

JOACHIM MUELLER ([email protected])
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:08:03 -0400

--------------974832AE4575F0EB631DABB8

I believe on almost every ASIC you will find a sensitve PLL. This means that we have to terminate every databusses that comes from a memory, if it exceeds the DC max level .

Joachim

Matt (boomer) Russell wrote:

> hi,
>
> The problem, at least for ASIC vendors, is that I don't know all the
> circuits that you are going to have on the chip and so we have to assume
> that something in the chip won't like high frequency noise coupled onto
> the power rails.
>
> Even if the IO rails are issolated from the core supplies (something
> that is not really possible for a common ground substrate) That noise
> could also get coupled through the package.
>
> That is why alot of times all that you see is the DC max level which
> is essentialy the limit for not turning on the clamp diodes.
>
> This is a limit that I have been struggling with so any comments on
> how to look at this would be appreciated.
>
> matt
>
> Scott McMorrow wrote:
> >
> > Jim,
> >
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >

> > > Why do we not see Maximum AC Operating Conditions in current data sheets?
> > >

> > This is a good question. It would be nice to have some sort of
> > maximum energy over a particular voltage, since the problem is
> > a time/voltage(current) phenonemon.
> >
> > It would also be nice to have a decent way of specifying the
> > sensitivity of an input to high frequency energy such as noise
> > and glitches in the threshold region. The Pentium Pro/PII/PIII
> > specs from Intel take a stab at this. The spec, however, is
> > a bit kludgey.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > scott

--------------974832AE4575F0EB631DABB8

begin: vcard
fn: Joachim Mueller
n: Mueller;Joachim
org: Newbridge Networks Corporation
adr: 600 March Road;;;Ottawa;Ontario;K2K 2E6;Canada
email;internet: [email protected]
title: EMC-Engineer
tel;work: 613-591 3600
tel;fax: 613-599 3654