Re: [SI-LIST] : Some Semiconductors are Unnecessarily Fast

D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 12:07:18 -0700

Francis Chiu wrote:

> Hi, Genttlemen,
>
> Try using the National BLVDS, the current 090 part is specified at 100Mhz
> bandwidth for multipoint bus, tests shows the current part with appropriate
> terminations
> is good up to 300Mhz. For signal integrity issues, the part has internal
> filters to take care the problems.
>

> Francis Chiu
>
> [email protected] on 07/14/99 06:08:00 AM
> To: [email protected]@Internet
> cc: (bcc: Francis Chiu/Americas/NSC)
>
> Subject: Re: [SI-LIST] : Some Semiconductors are Unnecessarily Fast
>
> D.C.
>
> You have some really great ideas on the edge rate problem that I am immediately
> going to try.
>
> First, I'm working on a complex bi-directional backplane bus where we would like
> to increase the daughter card stub lengths a little. Simulation shows that the
> IBIS "Max" selection (Cadence = "Fast") on the supplier's model is just a hair
> too fast in that we start failing Noise Margin on a few slot/driver
> combinations.
>
> I will clone the model provided, slow down the V-T curve and/or edit the V-I
> curves for a slightly lower Vol. Re-simulation will then tell me if my Noise
> Margin problem is fixed. I can then go to my supplier(s) with a max edge rate
> specification that they can respond to in a businesslike manner.
>
> This kind of interactive proposal - counterproposal testing of design
> feasibility is just what early simulation and reality checking should be doing
> for both supplier and user. And, obviously, not just for edge rates.

Note:
<plug=unselfish>
If you're using a Windows machine (leaves me out) you can use
Hyperlynx' IBIS model editor. Depending on what you get, you
can do some degree of SI simulation interactively with editing
the models, which sounds like exactly what you want to do.

So far as I know, the Hyperlynx tool is the only one remotely
like that available. Bless 'em, they're really providing the
thing to model makers (blush!) as a service to the industry,
and if it helps them indirectly then more power to them.
</plug>

--
D. C. Sessions