Re: [SI-LIST] : Edge Rates

D. C. Sessions ([email protected])
Fri, 09 Jul 1999 09:52:44 -0700

"Peterson, James F (FL51)" wrote:

> What seems to complicate my perspective on these super-fast edge rates is
> how they are effected by the load of the circuit. I believe that, without
> Do we use this effective edge rate in our analysis or the raw edge rate? It
> seems that raw edge-rates might be conservative in certain practical
> situations. The only way I see of getting more realistic numbers, that could
> be applied in t-line analysis, is to have a good simulator that generates a
> waveform based on the driver and its environment (trace, loads, etc.) while
> distributing and lumping where appropriate.

Loaded edge rates are only relevant at the load. The wave on the line is
the deep-sub-nanosecond one coming from the driver. The slow edge that
you're thinking of is the superposition of this edge with the capacitive
reflection from the load.

The difference is important for several reasons, but primarily for
crosstalk analysis both in the driving package and in trace coupling.

D. C. Sessions