RE: [SI-LIST] : RF Design Question

Kowal, Keith ([email protected])
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 07:39:55 -0400

dave,
I had been involved in some RF designs that every little thing changes
the
EMC profile and other designs that teardropping is a standard practice
(under
125mhz)...
I don't think that a global statement (or rules of thumb) is the right
way to
understand the issue(s). The board construction is extremely important
along
with how the traces are routed. Vias contribute about 1pf or less ( in
my experience )
and should be minimized (if not eliminated) on high freq. clock runs, etc.
So,
anaylize each run and draw you own conclusion. Good clean signals and
lowering
the energy of signal current helps also. Series terminations are usually
better from
the EMC standpoint than AC terminations. There is alot to consider...!
good luck,
keith kowal