RE: [SI-LIST] : connector substitution for high speed signals

Beal, Weston ([email protected])
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:26:06 -0500

John,

You can't really guarantee that two connectors are always equal. What you
can do is to evaluate the relevent effects in your situation. I would set
up a test simulation with an appropriate network and driver model. Then
simulate the two connectors in the same circuit to measure time delay,
signal quality, and crosstalk (if possible). These parameters are what
really matter, no?

Later,
Weston

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Sunday, 06 June, 1999 9:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [SI-LIST] : connector substitution for high speed signals

Hi All SI Experts,

One question.

If I want to use one connector to replace another connector because of cost
issue, what criteria are needed to prove they are electrically equivalent.

Especially the substitution is happened for high speed / low swing signals,
such as RAMBUS signals, which have 200ps for rising time.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you for helps in advance.

John Lin
Quanta Computer Inc.
CAE Engineer